Friday, December 21, 2007

A Tale of Two Meals

The other day I decided that while I wanted something a bit out of the ordinary for lunch. A quick peek in my refrigerator revealed some leftover rice and some veggies. We are in business.




First the prep work: I chopped a carrot, some onion and a rib of celery. I mixed together some Teriyaki sauce and set that aside for later. Then I heated some canola oil in a saute pan. I added the carrot and the onion and allow them to soften just a bit. They move to a bowl and after adding more canola oil to the pan I move to the next step.


I beat an egg and scramble it in the hot pan. When it is mostly cooked through, I add the egg to the bowl with the carrots and onion.




I add more canola oil to the pan and throw in my cooked rice and the celery. After a few minutes I add the Teriyaki sauce and I put the egg and other veggies back in the pan. Tossing well to coat everything, I allow all to heat back up before plating.




Can I tell you how good this was? In case you are wondering, I actually used very little canola oil in the making of this dish.


And now on to last night's (and tonight's, and...) dinner. Or

A Dish Best Served Twice

I am trying to clean out my freezer and refrigerator so I have been pulling together meals that utilize the resources in my very own kitchen. And believe me, I need to. No matter how much I try to prepare, I am never quite ready for my husband's annual gifts from work: the ham and the cooler full of Omaha Steaks (tm) items. Don't get me wrong: I appreciate it. I just have to scramble to find the room for it all. If my husband is reading this, I really need a new refrigerator. Hint, hint.

Anyway, back to the meal. A couple of days ago I moved a container of homemade tomato sauce from the freezer to the fridge. At the grocery I picked up a container of ricotta cheese and a package of lasagna noodles. Yesterday morning I assembled the dish.

Yes, I like my lasagna cheesy. I added ricotta , mozzarella and Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses to the dish. Cover and put back in the refrigerator until it's time to cook.



After an hour of baking, the dish is out of the oven and ready to be plated. And the best part is that this will taste even better the next day.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

That lasagna looks wonderful.
And the veggie/egg dish too.

I've had some ricotta in my fridge for some time. I was going to make something with it then just put it aside. Need to use that stuff tomorrow. All 3 little Hawthornes are home. They'll eat it up.