Friday, December 7, 2007

Brining for the Good

I have to admit it: since learning that I am allergic to chicken, I am obsessed with finding substitutes. Turkey is the obvious choice, and luckily, I have been able to find less than the whole-frozen-turkey-carcass in my local stores. I actually found a half bone-in turkey breast at the store this week and that parcel couldn't land in my cart fast enough. I immediately had visions of a tender, succulent, brined turkey breast on my plate later in the week. I then had to consider what the side dishes would be for such a delectable dish. I finally decided upon fresh green beans that had first been blanched and then roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper and freshly grated parmegiano reggiano cheese. My husband brought home some home-made whole wheat buns from a dinner he attended last night and I reheated them to round out our dinner.

The brine is ready: I heated 1/2 gallon of water and added 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/2 cup sugar with 1 lemon, quartered, and one orange, quartered, 2 bay leaves, one cinnamon stick and a half dozen whole cloves.




Once the water has cooled, I added the half turkey breast and refrigerated overnight.

Hee, hee. I had fun placing pats of butter under and over the turkey skin. Is it illegal to have that much fun with one's food?

This afternoon I trimmed and blanched fresh green beans. Then I patted them dry and placed them in a baking dish with olive oil, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and freshly grated parmegano reggiano cheese.

Sadly enough, I neglected to document the final result, so you will have to use your imaginations. Suffice it to say, I set the meat thermometer at 160 degrees and pulled the meat out at that point. An aluminum foil tent allowed the meat to rest while we plotted this dinner's demise.

Amazingly enough, there is enough left over meat for another meal and I am sure I will find a way to reinvent the green beans. I love it when a plan comes together!

And for those who have been following the not-hot water saga: After 4 days without, we finally have hot water again. Such a simple, over-looked luxury in life. Thank you, Kirby!

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Green beans look divine.