Monday, December 10, 2007

Potpourri, Part Deux





Just a reminder of where we left off 2 weeks ago. The fruit is now dry enough to package.






I've got the first packet ready. Don't you love the salmon color of the one orange?




All tied up and ready to be delivered.

I thought you might like the recipe for this nice gift. Today I pulled out a packet that was a couple of years old and added it to a pot of simmering water on my stove today. It smelled just heavenly.


CITRUS AND SPICE POTPOURRI

This is a great project for the Holidays and it makes a nice gift. I typically cut up several oranges and lemons at once so I can make many gifts.

Thinly slice oranges and lemons. Place on several layers of paper towels. I place this on cooling racks in jelly roll pans. The fruit is very juicy and it will take quite a while to dry out. To preserve the color of the fruit I like to air-dry the fruit, but they can be placed in an oven set on the lowest setting for several hours. This way the fruit turns dark.

When orange and lemon slices are thoroughly dried, the potpourri packets are ready for assembly. On two squares of netting, place a few dried slices of each fruit along with 10 whole cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, and 3 bay leaves. Close and tie with a pretty ribbon.

If desired to use as a simmering potpourri, add a couple of slices each of orange and lemon, a few cloves, a cinnamon stick and 2 bay leaves to 2 cups of water and simmer on low heat. Do not allow to boil dry.

No comments: