Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Good and the Bad

My in-laws were in town yesterday for business and treated my husband and me to lunch. We went to a local diner and ordered our lunches. Coincidentally, my daughter had worked as a waitress there over the summer. College classes and managing her high school football team took too much of her time, so she had to quit the job after a few months.

I had decided that I would "stay in Indiana" for this meal. So I ordered a Hoosier favorite: a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich with mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles. I added fried onion rings as a side. I usually do the unthinkable and add catsup to my sandwich, but apparently that is just not done. So this time I went without.




Some Assembly Required on my sandwich.


The meals arrived and I eagerly dug in. The meat was tender and the onion rings were good and just a touch spicy. It was a lot of food, but I did manage to eat it all. Along with the good food, we also enjoyed our time with the family. Since they live in Ohio, we don't see them nearly as much as we might like, so we cherish each opportunity.

I drove my husband back to his work place before heading off to the grocery store. Yes, I do realize that I had spent 3 hours in a grocery store just two days prior, but I still needed some essentials.

And that's when it hit. Another asthma attack. I am sure that I looked a sight traveling down the road, my emergency inhaler in use. I mentally went over everything I had eaten, trying to discern the culprit. That's when I realized that the pork had likely been cooked in the same oil that they used for cooking chicken. Great, another thing to watch out for when I go out to eat.

The rest of the day was spent in recovering from my asthma attack and the emergency inhaler was used once more before bedtime. Ah well, live and learn, I suppose. But that was still a tasty Hoosier tradition.

No comments: