Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Leonard's Springs in the Fall - After the Drought

One fine fall day a few weeks ago I ventured back to Leonard Spring's Nature Preserve to see how it had fared after this year's "exceptional drought." 

At one point this summer we were determined as being under the worst level of drought possible.  We are finally getting rain and the U. S. Drought Monitor Map now shows that we are now only "abnormally dry."

However, only time will tell how much damage was done to the trees and other important vegetation.


 Blue asters in bloom.
Asters are native flowers.

 One of the caverns in the nature preserve.


 The lower cave.



 Happily, the graffiti has been removed.
Now I am happy again.
Stupid gangs.


 The drought has really depleted the springs' water reserves.






 At first I was wondering where the falls were, but then I realized that I was standing where the falls usually ran.









 They are still very pretty.





 I love this shot.





 This is the underside of a massive uprooted tree.


On the way back to the car, I saw this fallen, decaying log that was giving life to new plants.

And I suppose that is the true lesson here.
Life is a perpetual cycle of birth, death and rebirth.

Less than ideal weather conditions may occur, but nature and life go on.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I love those blue asters. I found bunches growing in the mountains on our last trip. Deadheaded a few and I'll try the seeds here.