Thursday, August 4, 2011

Salmon Spread

I wanted to make something different
for my husband recently,
so I picked up a couple of packages
of trimmings from Nova lox at my local grocery store.
Nova lox is a salmon filet that has been cured
in a mild brine solution and then thinly sliced.

I also bought a package of cream cheese
for this special dish before heading home.



 The ingredients for the salmon spread are:
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt*
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

*since I used Nova lox, I needed to add some sugar
to counteract the added salt from the salmon.
Alternatively, I could have just omitted or lessened
the amount of salt added to the recipe.



Cream the cheese with an electric mixer
or mix with a fork (use those muscles!) 
just until smooth.
Add the sour cream, dill, chives, horseradish,
salt, pepper and and salmon and mix well.

Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.


Garnish with extra minced chives, if desired.

This is a nice departure from the ordinary spread
and even those of us who don't care for salmon
can appreciate this dish.

No comments: