Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Foodies Try a New Restaurant

The Foodie Boyfriend took the Foodie Daughter
and me out to eat at the new HuHot Mongolian Grill
in town recently.


For one fairly low price,
you can get all you can eat.


You go to the buffet bar and pick from several 
raw ingredients:
a protein,
noodles,
veggies
and then a sauce or sauces.


Then you hand your bowl to the cooks
who place the contents of you bowl on the hot grill
and then they chop and cook it.
Typically, they work their way around the grill,
each one working on all of the dishes
until a person's order is finished.

However, the Foodie Boyfriend had informed 
them about my chicken allergy,
so that system was scrapped for me
and only one cook worked on my dish
in order to avoid cross-contamination.


For my first trip to the grill,
I chose beef, rice noodles, water chestnuts,
broccoli, carrots, zucchini, onion and celery.

I also chose Feed the Hordes Hoisin sauce, 
Samurai Teriyaki sauce and Khan's Favorite sauce. 


For my second and last trip to the grill
I chose pork, broccoli, carrots, onions, celery,
noodles, Samurai Teriyaki sauce,
Khan's Favorite sauce,
Feed the Hordes Hoisin sauce and
Burn-Your-Village Barbecue sauce.

This was my favorite plate.

Now for the critique.
Our server was friendly and attentive
and refilled our drinks before we even noticed
that we needed refills.

The cooks worked with my chicken allergy,
even though that disrupted their routine.
The food was decent.


However, would I go back?
Probably not.
And that is the real test.

2 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Mar, we went to a Mongolian Grill up in Chesapeake twice. We gave it a second chance. Won't be back.
Interesting assembly line though.

I don't know how the chicken wouldn't contaminate the whole grill.

Marilyn said...

The problem is that the cooks work around the grill and if the person's dish in front of you had chicken then your dish might be contaminated when they move on to yours.