Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spaghetti Pie




Or what to do when your loving spouse brings


home over six pounds of cooked spaghetti.


And just what was I supposed to do with all that spaghetti?


Hmm... the Foodie will have to think on that.


I know; I can use at least a pound of it in a

spaghetti pie.


So let's start with that.












I gathered some likely ingredients:

the aforementioned cooked pasta,

one hamburger patty,

Parmigiano Reggiano cheese,

sour cream (not used in the end),

Mozzarella cheese,

a scallion,

a garlic clove,

one egg,

Herbes de Provence,

black pepper,

salt

and a can of tomato sauce.


Not shown:

brown sugar.



I cooked and crumbled the hamburger patty.

That poor patty had been lonely in the freezer.


I then chopped the white of the scallion and then added

another 2 tablespoons of chopped white onion to the pan

and sauteed that for a bit.


Then I added in about 1/2 teaspoon Herbes de Provence

and the grated clove of garlic before

pouring in the can of tomato sauce.


I ground in about 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

and then added kosher salt and brown sugar to taste.


I can't tell you how much to add.

Only you know how much salt and sugar you and your

family like in your tomato sauce.



I let this mixture simmer while I worked on the

pasta crust of the pie.



In a bowl I put the pasta and about 1/4 cup grated

Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and the egg.


I mixed that up and then pressed the pasta into

an oiled 9-inch pie pan.


In hind sight I might have revived the pasta by

dropping it in boiling water for a moment

so that it would have been easier to work with.


However, the pasta was already long past the

al dente stage and I was afraid it would have

simply disintegrated if added to water.




I then grated some more Parmigiano Reggiano and

Mozzarella cheeses in the center of the pie before

adding the sauce.


Then more cheeses were added along with the diced

green onion.


This baked in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.





I let it cool for a few minutes before serving.






Serve with some of the garlic bread my husband also brought home.

This was a nice change of pace.



Now I just have to figure out what to do with five and a half pounds

of cooked pasta that is sitting in my freezer.




1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I have to give you credit for that one.
Good luck on the rest of the 5 1/2 pounds.

I'm trying to think what I'd do if Mr. Hawthorne came home with 6 pounds of cooked pasta.
Changing the locks comes to mind.