Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hoisin Ham 'n' Cheese Sandwich


The Foodie Daughter likes to DVR

Aarti Sequeira's show on Food Network,

Aarti Party.


Aarti recently demonstrated this sandwich

and the Foodie Daughter and I decided that we

wanted to try it.





The ingredients are:

pepper jack cheese

hoisin sauce

sesame oil

scallion

black pepper

ham

apple

mayonnaise

and wheat bread.
I don't like cilantro, so I left that out of the recipe.


I also substituted wheat bread for the rye bread

and a red apple for the green apple.




The cheese, scallion, hoisin sauce and black pepper were

mixed together.





After spreading mayonnaise on one side of the bread,

I spread a thin layer of the cheese mixture on each

slice.






Then some ham and apple slices went on top.


Another ham slice and the rest of the cheese mixture

finished off the sandwich.


I followed directions, covering with the other slice of bread

and weighing down with a skillet.


Before flipping over,

I spread mayonnaise on the top slice of bread.


Finish cooking until lightly browned on both sides.




This was a nice change of pace from the usual

grilled cheese sandwich.


I noted from the reviews on FN's web site that

some people objected to the hoisin sauce.

To be sure, the hoisin sauce does make its presence known.

It imparts a salty bite and leaves a spicy after taste.


It certainly will help to clear out those sinuses.

We would make this again, but we might add just a bit more

cheese the next time.

No comments: