Wednesday, May 5, 2010

¡Cinco de Mayo!



¡Hola!


¡Bienvenida!



And did I mention hola?




Okay,

I've been out of high school for

*cough, cough, hack*

far too many years

and my high school Spanish is rusted solid.




So, let's continue in English (or rather American),

shall we?











We decided to celebrate our southern neighbor's shocking win over the French forces at the Battle of Puebla.

I was surprised to learn that this "National" holiday
is not really celebrated in Mexico.

This holiday is important primarily in the state of Pueblo
(in Mexico)
and in the United States of America.

Cinco de Mayo is often confused with Mexican Independence,
which is September 16, 1810.


But enough of history.

After all,
man (and woman)
cannot survive on history alone.

Not to mention,
history is generally not that tasty,
or filling.


I decided that we would be having a Baja, California
(yep, that be Mexico)
concoction.

The fish taco.

Now, I did cheat in that I used already breaded blue hake
fillets from Schwan's
and I purchased pre-made mango-peach salsa from
my regular grocery store.

My other ingredients for
fish sauce:
equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream
with chopped chives,
chopped dried Serrano chili
and ground cayenne pepper.


I perused many different online recipes for "authentic" fish tacos.

And I just couldn't do it.

I could not just dump plain chopped cabbage on this taco.

I. Had. To. Make. Cole Slaw.

I just had to.

So sue me.

Or better yet don't.

Don't.

I have no money.

Seriously, my husband cut me off.



Anywho...

I chopped the half head of cabbage
(but only used about 3/4 of it),
grated about half a carrot
and chopped the green part of a scallion
(all that was left from another recipe).

I then did my usual voodoo with
mayo, white vinegar and sugar
to taste.

But since this was a Mexican slaw,
I ground about 1/8 teaspoon cumin seed
and added that to the dressing.






And this is it:



a white corn tortilla
(next time I will warm these so they are more pliable),
a third of the breaded blue hake fillet,
slaw,
the dressing
and the pre-made mango peach salsa.

Oh my.

Why haven't I made these before?


¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

No comments: