Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Have Seen the Light

The Foodie Daughter will be starting classes again next week, so I decided to take her out for a nice lunch today.
We are fortunate to have a very nice restaurant in town called Chapman's.
Unfortunately, I don't get to eat here nearly as often as I would like.

After being seated, our nice waiter informed us that the Lobster Club (which I had intended to order) was not available today.
On to plan "B."
He then told us about the day's special, which included a bowl of acorn squash soup, but that was made with chicken stock, so the soup was out for me.
On to plan "C."
The Foodie Daughter and I both ordered a small Caesar salad to go with our meal.
We were informed that this could be substituted for the traditional side item for $1.00 more.
Seems reasonable.
The Menu described the dish:
Caesar Salad with hearts of romaine, shaved Sonoma Jack cheese, kalamata olives and baby tomatoes.
Sadly, as is usual for this time of year, the tomatoes were a bit tart,
but other than that, the salad was very good.
Note to Chapman's:
I would use grape tomatoes as they are usually sweet no matter what time of year it is.

The Foodie Daughter ordered the:

Traditional Club on toasted white bread with shaved ham, turkey, bacon, Swiss & American cheese, lettuce and tomato.

She was very happy.


I ordered the day's special despite some reservations.*

A crab cake sandwich with remoulade sauce, lettuce, red onion and a toasted bun.

*Disclaimer: I've never met a crab cake that I've ever liked.

I've tried to like them, but I just haven't been able to get past the whatever that has held me back in the past. I was willing to try once more, hoping for the best.


This was, to quote that great comedienne, er Food Network hostess, Sandra Lee,

"Heaven on a Plate."

The crab cake was nearly all crab with very little filler, the sauce was delicious and lent just the right note to the crab.

All in all this was a very messy sandwich, but it was worth every drip and drop.

My only regret is that this item is not on the everyday menu.

Thank you, Chapman's, for allowing my daughter and me to relax and to just enjoy each other's company before she returns to college life next week.

No comments: