Sunday, July 19, 2009

Adventures in Cooking
Once again I recently found myself feeling rather bored with the foods I had been making for my family, so I updated my final will and testament, dug out my parka, donned my protective winter gear and bravely went exploring in the depths of my freezer to see just what sorts of foods I had available to me. A couple of hours, and a moderate case of frost bite later, I emerged victorious with a package of turkey breast cutlets and some pieces of thick-sliced bacon. Now, what to do with this find?
After my fingers had thawed out, I went to my computer and typed "turkey cutlets and bacon" into the friendly search engine and immediately found this intriguing recipe. Deciding that this was enough off the beaten path for me, I decided to give it a whirl.




The ingredients for this fine dish are
bacon
turkey cutlets
ham
mozzarella cheese (since the foodie daughter only likes mozzarella)
fresh basil
garlic
salt
black pepper

First, each cutlet was sprinkled with salt, pepper, chopped basil and minced garlic.

Then a slice of ham and a slice of mozzarella cheese was place on top of each cutlet. The cutlets were then carefully rolled tightly up.


Since I had long slices of thick-cut bacon, I cut each in half and used one slice per cutlet.
The bacon-wrapped cutlets were placed in a baking dish.

The recipe directed me to cover the cutlets with aluminum foil and cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. However, perhaps since I only had thick-sliced bacon on hand, I believe that this time should have been decreased with the remaining time increased to allow for the bacon to better brown.




As you can see, after the required 25 minutes, the dish is looking rather anemic.



I had to increase the last leg of the cooking time in order to allow the bacon to cook through.




Voila, dinner is served. A rather pathetic canned creamed corn (note to self: make your own next time) and a nice bacon and broccoli craisin salad complete this meal.




This was a nice change of pace from the usual turkey cordon bleu.
And with just a few tweaks and adjustments, I think it will be a stellar dish.




And don't forget my world-famous bacon broccoli craisin salad.