Friday, August 15, 2008

More Than Just a Cook

Julia Child was more than just a cook. She was the mother of cooking shows. She brought French cooking to the American masses. She showed us that fancy cooking was not outside of our capabilities. She taught young women that much joy could be found in the kitchen while cooking for their families.

I grew up watching Julia Child on PBS. No matter what happened on the shows, she still smiled and carried on. I especially remember her advice that if the turkey falls on the floor, to simply pick it up and not tell your guests. Sanitary? No, but definitely practical. Her food was the antithesis of all that my mother cooked at home and I was enthralled. She was my culinary hero.

And now comes the news that not only was Julia Child a culinary inspiration, she was an American spy. You rock, girl!

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I remember learning to cook from watching Julia on Saturday afternoons on PBS. With legal pad and pen in hand, I wrote down her every word. (These were the days before VCRs.) I was fascinated by her and inspired by her. A bygone era.

Food Network can't even come close.
They're not good enough to lick her boots.