Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Turkey Marsala

I just knew that I had to recreate the dish that I had at Grazie! the other week.  
Unfortunately, veal can be difficult to find and expensive to boot.  I opted instead for turkey.  

I searched the Internet for a good recipe and finally found a springboard.*

*A recipe upon which I could base my interpretation


My ingredients are:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound Crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 green onions, not shown
1 large garlic clove, grated
1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
 1 1/4 pound of turkey cutlets, pounded thinly**
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
 2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup sweet Marsala wine
1 cup beef stock***

**Pounding the meat is good for releasing tension.  Try it sometime.

***The recipe calls for beef or veal demi-glace, but these are almost impossible to find unless you have made them yourself.  A demi-glace is a stock that has been reduced  greatly and then combined in equal parts with an espagnole sauce.

First the Crimini mushrooms, the green onion and the garlic were sauteed.

The mushrooms, green onion, and mushrooms were removed from the skillet.

Then the turkey cutlets, which had been beaten into submission and coated with flour and seasoned with salt, pepper, dried thyme, dried oregano, were sauteed in the olive oil until just done.****

****Please, never, ever overcook meat.  Meat is not your enemy, so don't treat it as such.



Add the stock and the Marsala wine to the pan and turn up the heat to high.  Scrape up the tasty bits from the bottom of the pan.

Once the sauce has begun to reduce, return the meat to the sauce and reduce the security around the area.


Turkey Marsala is served.


Served over mashed potatoes; this dish is a hit.

I thought this rendition was better than the restaurant's as I often couldn't tell the difference between the veal and the breading.  

Unfortunately, my husband thought that it would have been better without the Marsala wine sauce.  

But still, I will be making this dish again.


No comments: