Sunday, December 20, 2009

Standing Rib Roast
A couple of times a year my go-to grocery store, Marsh Supermarkets, has prime standing rib roasts on sale for $9.99 a pound.*
So of course I have to succumb.
Can't you hear the siren's song?


*Wait, what is this? $14.29 a pound?
Me thinks a visit to the service counter is in store.
After all, we are talking about a $4. 30 a pound difference here.
Screw principle, this is about money!
All bets are off and the gloves come off!

At any rate, let's get to the food.
I allowed the meat to come to room temperature before patting it dry.


Then I liberally seasoned all sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
For those of you who are afraid of all things saline, relax.
Not all of this salt will actually 'stick' to the food, thus being consumed.


After searing the rib roast over high heat on the stove, I placed it back on my new, smaller roasting pan.
Perhaps this is actually a "lazy rib roast"?
The standing rib roast doesn't want to stand up.
I washed, cut and microwaved some potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes and 55 seconds.
Hey, it's just easier to keep hitting that "5" button than to hit the "6" button and then the "0" button twice.
What, me lazy?
Well, okay, you caught me.
This time.
I then added one thick-cut slice of yellow onion and two slices of bacon, chopped.
The oven was set for 400 degrees and allowed to come to temperature before the food was added.

I inserted the remote digital temperature probe in the thickest part of the meat.
The alarm is set for 140 degrees.
I never cook meat by time.
There are just too many variables.
What is the starting temperature of the meat, what is the mass of the meat, is the oven properly calibrated, are the planets in alignment, am I holding my mouth right?
Go by temperature, instead.
You won't be disappointed, though it does take some getting used to the timing.

I told you this was a "lazy rib roast."

It fell over again.


I removed the rib roast to a platter, covered it with aluminum foil and then covered it with two kitchen towels so it could rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

I put the potatoes, onion and bacon back into the oven for the duration.

I sliced the meat after it had rested.

Note to self:

Next time set the timer for 135 degrees to allow for carry-over heat.*

*This time I set the alarm for 140 degrees.

This resulted in having the meat range from medium-rare to well-done.

Yes, I was playing it safe - eh, everybody has an off day.

As a compromise (since we had been out of state yesterday, I am sick and I'm just plain tired), for the last side dish I just opened a can of french-cut green beans, drained them, added a splash of white vinegar, a dash of sugar and a slice of cooked bacon that was diced.

Once again I asked for ratings from the family.

Surprisingly, the husband gave this 4-1/2 stars.

Somebody take his temperature.

The Foodie Daughter gave this 4-3/4 stars as she would have rather had "real" green beans.

The Foodie Boyfriend and I both gave this 5 stars.

Yes, it was that good.



Standing Prime Rib Roast

A special treat for a special occasion, this prime rib ...

See Standing Prime Rib Roast on Key Ingredient.

No comments: