Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Flat Iron Steak for Dinner - and Lunch
I like to keep certain things in my freezer for those times when I need a quick, easy dinner.
Flat iron steak has recently earned its place in this category.
This cut of meat can be marinated for just an hour or two before being cooked.




I had a recipe in mind, but my dear husband ignored my instructions to stop at the grocery and pick up a bottle of whiskey.
Of course, he claims that I told him not to stop.
Oh to have that selective male hearing.
Life must be much easier when one can pick and choose what one hears.
*
Obviously I was going to have to wing this recipe.
Here I have assembled:
Extra virgin olive oil
black pepper
sherry
Light soy sauce
dried thyme
dried rosemary
fresh parsley
chives (in place of the green onion)
garlic
flat iron steak

*
The ingredients were mixed and put with the flat iron steak in a zip-top bag.
This marinated in the refrigerator for an hour before being removed and seared over medium-high heat in a non-stick pan.



The meat rested for about 15 minutes under foil.




I prefer to cook the flat iron steak to rare.

A baked Yukon Gold potato and sauteed broccoli round out the dinner.


This was good, but I think I would have liked it even better if I had been able to use whiskey in the recipe.

*

The Foodie Daughter gave this 5 stars, while the Foodie Boyfriend and I gave this 4 stars.

The dear husband gave this 3-1/2 stars.

I'd say this recipe passes muster.

I still want to try it with the whiskey.


I promised you lunch also, didn't I?

The next day I made a salad with Romaine lettuce and red onion in a tortilla salad shell.

Seared leftover flat iron steak and my homemade Honey French Dressing finish off this delightful salad.

This was almost better than its first incarnation.



Sherry Flat Iron Steak

A sherry marinade adds flavor to flat iron stak.

See Sherry Flat Iron Steak on Key Ingredient.

No comments: