Monday, November 26, 2012

A New Visitor to the Garden

The other day I looked out the library window and saw a most unusual sight.
I saw a large woodpecker unlike any I had seen before.

We often have a yellow-bellied sapsucker visit us during the winter, and sometimes a hairy woodpecker will come a knockin' at the door, so to speak.

But this is the first time that I have ever seen a pileated woodpecker.

It came to feast on the berries of the dogwood tree.
 


It was difficult to get a good picture of this beautiful bird through the screened window.
This is a large bird.

The pileated woodpecker came back this morning for more berries.

I think we have a repeat visitor.
I'm a happy amateur birdwatcher.


1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Cool. I have one around my house but I haven't seen him in a long time.